Suggestions for our Ethical Resources directory

Hello! I recommend this email service called Hey. They don’t track and they’re independent.

1 Like

A great blog called Creative Good by Mark Hurst. Similar in intention to Center for Humane Technology. He’s based in NYC. Check it out!

Hello

We would love to be added…

We are a small family run business with a passion for the world that we live in. We love anything, eco friendly, natural, sustainable and zero waste so we decided to put our favourite products under one roof and decided to create the Eco Friendly & Plastic Free Products Store called zero zen. We hope you will love the selection of products as much as our planet does.

Kind Regards

1 Like

Firefox Send has been discontinued. It can be removed from the file-sharing section.

Here is a recommendation for alternative cell phones: The Light Phone.
The company is based out of Brooklyn, NY. Here is the website: https://www.thelightphone.com/

The Light Phone 2 looks really interesting, I’ve never seen it before, thanks for sharing.

I would like to propose the Open Green Map site for creating maps using the Green Map Icons toolkit. These maps use a globally designed icon set that highlight ethical (social and environmental) locations.

See https://www.greenmap.org/ for more information.

Hello this is my website visit this https://licensecracked.com/

Surely that’s more illegal and unethical than ethical?

I have created an alternative social network to Twitter called Drakkle. With no ads, I created this social network focused on protecting users’ privacy

Hi! I would like to propose the site adhocracy+ (https://adhocracy.plus/) as a resource under ‘platforms’. It’s an open-source and free participation platform developed by a Berlin-based non-profit, that enables organisations, municipalities or political parties to involve citizens in their decisions.

Greetings ladies and gentlemen,
Greetings @EcoBaby

I love your website and your products.
You’re using Shopify… I don’t think they’re ethical. I’ve seen many interesting ingredients in your Truthpaste (awesome name), do you have videos of you making it? Do you have tutorials about how anyone can do the exact Truthpaste you’re selling? Most people won’t even make it anyway, it would be great to have. And no worries anyone can copy a formula but no one can steal your essence and that’s what makes or break any product.

Sincerely,
JoeBlaster

Greetings ladies and gentlemen,
Greetings @vero

The service you are providing is exactly the one that I am looking for right now… But your website’s homepage is a 404 page not found page and that is a bit uninteresting. Plus there is no way one can get access to a live demo which means we have to pay blindfolded for the service you are promising.

To everyone here, could you please help me find a company that has a Mozilla level of ethics and provides a service like Vultr & AWS (Cloud computing / Virtual machine / Virtual Computers, etc.) I would like to have Lubuntu on a cloud computer.

Vultr is excellent but they are trying to screw people up at every corner with an unethical payment structure.

Sincerely,
JoeBlaster

Hello @JoeBlaster ,

Huge thanks for pointing out the issue. Actually I must congratulate you - in a few years that site has been up, you were lucky enough to visit it exactly between web server adjustments yesterday. That must be fate for both of us :slightly_smiling_face: I don’t even think our service (managed servers) would fit - most likely you just need a regular unmanaged VPS or cloud server.

As for any recommendations - this market is so dense and competitive, that it’s almost impossible to expect any high - end moral in one respect or another. I mean it’s matter of course to me and I don’t try to compete in every possible way, but that’s not the case with major providers.

If I find something, I let you know.

Hey. I am creating a climate change app that helps users living a more sustainable lifestyle by recommending actions they can take now to reduce their CO2 footprint together with recommendations that help them commit to those actions. I think that our app could fit well under the calculator category.

Changeit looks really interesting, do you have any plans for a web/windows app version as well, or just for phones?

Hey John. I am glad you find it interesting. For the moment we are only planning on developing android and IOS. The reason is that we are still a small team and we don’t have the resources to expand to other platforms.

1 Like

Email

systemli. org, which is similar to riseup .net

Thunderbird and deltachat are email clients, not email provider. If you accept both I would also add K-9 Mail

Web hosting

uberspace. de they also only use renewable energy and you can choose the price yourself. It’s run by a small team of 8 People and they only offer shared hosting for mostly hobbyists. For professional clients they do managed hosting at jonaspasche. com

Team collaboration

BigBlueButton which is open source videoconferencing

office

openoffice isn’t further developed, so it shouldn’t be recommended

blogging

maybe add hugo, a static site generator.

browser extensions

remove ghostery, because it sells userdata to advertisers

desktop os

maybe just add some more linux distros (linux mint, solus, etc.)

Translation

libretranslate .com / libretranslate. de completely foss translation

Video

Bitchute is used by a lot of alt right people, which I wouldn’t consider ethical.

Ethical tech orgs

EFF?

Conferences & Meetups

Workadventure is a virtual 2d world where poeple near each other can talk to each other via embeded jitsi. It’s completely foss.

Design

Krita, Foss application for digital art

Scribus, Foss Layouting software

The Team Human book by Douglas Rushkoff and the movie The Social Dilemma should be added to the directory. You should remove BitChute because there is a lot of unethical material being hosted on that site.

2 Likes

Agree with both of the above posters about Bitchute - it’s pretty far removed from ethical at the point.

1 Like