Suggestions for our Ethical Resources directory

Hi there!
I’m one of the people behind Elliot For Water and was wondering if you want to add it to your list of ethical Search Engine

Elliot For Water :
- have has goal to collect money to donate drinkable water for everybody
- is open source: GitHub - ElliotForWater/efw-webapp: Webapp which run the https://elliotforwater.com/ website
- is privacy friendly/ no tracking at all

Let me know if you think it could be a good fit :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Gio

2 Likes

Recommendation for Blogging & CMS Category: https://bearblog.dev/

• Minimalist blogging platform with no ads, trackers, or scripts

• Open Source

• Sign up with a free blog with bearblog.dev domain; also allows users to connect a custom domain for free

• Allows for custom styling

• Free privacy-friendly analytics that count page-views; can also connect a Fathom Analytics account

• Uses markdown formatting

• Blogs come with RSS feeds

• Bear Blog has a discovery feed that can be sorted by most recent posts or most “toasted” (something like a “like”) posts - users can choose whether to have their posts in discovery

• Can add canocial urls for republishing

• Privacy Policy available on homepage

I discovered Bear Blog recently and decided to try it as a personal blog to supplement my main project. I like it so far. It was not difficult to connect to my custom domain and it offers a very nice and simple interface focused on writing. Good simple option for people who just want to write and it offers some tools for more advanced users.

Hi @designbygio

Great work on Elliot For Water, I’ve just updated my blog post with a roundup of great ethical search engines to add it, over at Ethical Search Engines | S4 Hosting

1 Like

Thank you @John! I’m happy you found the project interesting and wrote it about it on your blog!

Decentralized, E2E Encrypted, Open Source, free and unrestricted in size filesharing: skytransfer powered by sia skynet

I’d like to suggest two ethical DNS (recursive Domain Name Service) operators:

Quad9 and Emerald Onion.

Both are privacy-centric not-for-profit organizations which use donor-provided funds to provide services at no cost. Neither collect any personal information about their users. Both have excellent privacy policies. Quad9 has an excellent human rights policy.

1 Like

I’d like to suggest a free collaboration app called Pumble. Other similar chat apps offer limited free plans that cover only a small amount of active users and usage before you need to switch to a paid plan - and, these paid plans can easily become pricey solutions, especially for larger teams. But, unlike other team chat apps, Pumble offers the basic features for communication and collaboration, for free. This includes, but is not limited to:

• unlimited users
  • unlimited chat history
  • user and workspace administration tools
  • 24/7 web support
  • customizable notifications for web and mobile apps
  • simple solutions for managing workspace members
  • easy file, link, and image sharing

https://odysee.com/ - video platform, blockchain-based, independent, open-source
see following links for more information:
Blockchain-based Odysee keeps your social media content online | ZDNet
Odysee aims to build a more freewheeling, independent video platform – TechCrunch

You can also add following video platforms:
https://lbry.tv/ - open-source, YouTube sync. possible, it has its own token, LBC, which is awarded to users of the platform and can also be used by viewers to send tips to creators.
https://www.bitchute.com/ - Torrent based, open-source, plenty payments to authors supported, YouTube sync. possible

More info available here:

Hi everyone, I’m new!

I have two suggestions. The first is Flokinet, for web hosting. Based in Iceland they’re using geothermal and wind power for their datacentre. They also have a good position on protecting privacy and free speech. I can personally vouch for them being good to work with, as we use them for our hosting.

Which brings me to my second suggestion, Meetniq. Meetniq is meeting minutes and task management software. We’re ethical in a few ways: we’re hosted by Flokinet, so using renewable power and with good privacy protections. We have a staunch position on user privacy, don’t share or sell any data, and it’s free for most progressive groups, subsidised for all progressive groups, and always free for any first-nations controlled campaigning organisation.

To be open and clear, Meetniq is my own project, so I’m biased, and welcome any feedback!

We also have a version for businesses and schools at https://meetniq.com. It has all the same rules and features, just a different pricing structure.

Andrew Keen has a podcast called Keen On.

Douglas Rushkoff has a book called Team Human.

Christiana Figueres and Tom Rivett-Carnac have a book called The Future We Choose: Surviving the Climate Crisis.

I recommend Session under the Messaging category.

Truly end-to-end encrypted. Onion-routed. Built on the Oxen blockchain. And does not take your email address or phone number.

I’ve never heard of Session before and it looks really interesting, thanks for sharing.

I think the problem with more ‘non-standard’ messaging app is adoption, most people want one messaging app that everyone they talk to is going to be on, and don’t look much further than the biggest ones because they are just easy.

I hear that. Even apps like Signal or Zoom were apps that were non-standard at one point. Getting others switch over to Session is like pulling teeth, until they start to realize their data’s compromised or need a surefire way to get in contact with someone without eavesdropping. If you ever wanna test Session out, feel free to hit me up through my beautiful Session ID :laughing: 056b89fe835b8f9c058f4968927e8317885df33045a56f1e46250d32cd51628946

Hi there! :wave: There have been many new search engines lately. I wanted to suggest one as an ethical option. It’s called You.com.

It’s the search engine that puts you in control - Your sources. Your time. Your privacy. It’s ad-free and doesn’t sell its users’ data or follow them around the web. It lets its users take control of their information diet through preferred sources. It also offers a private mode where nothing is stored. :mag_right: :heart:

Hi:

I suggest a selfhosted and open-source alternative to wetransfer under “File Sharing”:

https://www.youtransfer.io/

“YouTransfer is a simple but elegant self-hosted file transfer & sharing solution. It is an alternative to paid services like Dropbox and WeTransfer by offering similar features but without limitations, price plans and a lengthy privacy policy. You remain in control of your files.”

Thanks.

Hi:

I suggest a Blog framework:

“A fast, simple & powerful blog framework, powered by Node.js that can be deployed to GitHub/GitLab Pages, Heroku or other platforms.”

Hello,
Can I submit The Good News Hub www.thegoodnewshub.com which is a non-profit source of good and uplifting news.

Thanks

What about www.ceptcha.com a humane alternative for the derogatory CAPTCHAs.

What about BitWarden? Open source, free, and reliable password manager. I have tried and seen other products like TrueKey and LastPass, but BitWarden seems to be the most user-oriented and thoughtful.