Suggestions for our Ethical Resources directory

Hi guys, I totally do not understand why you did add HappyCow platform for vegan and vegetarians. It is a commercial platform spying users, where users add the content, without ability to get it back and the TOS just sucks - https://www.happycow.net/terms-of-use

As a contributor to HappyCow - one day I asked to give back my added content - but i was refused. So I Veggiesailor was born (disclaimer - I am one of the founders) - with creative connent backed by vegguide
So, basically - pleaes remove HappyCow - or force them to change TOS, and please add real community and open source projects like:

Great platform.

2 Likes

Iā€™d like to suggest adding Discourse, since itā€™s what you use to run your own community and weā€™re open source, possibly under Team collaboration or Social media? (Are there other platforms that would benefit from a Community category? Social media doesnā€™t quite feel right.)

Disclaimer: I work for Discourseā€” :heart: love what youā€™re all doing.

2 Likes

File sharing:

Operating Systems:

• Solus
  • Manjaro
  • Pop_OS
  • Ubuntu
  • <Linux flavour of choice>

Games Launchers:

• Lutris
1 Like

Would you add ā€œUltimate Extract and Recoverā€ , available at [www.nvglabs.com](http:// www.nvglabs.com), to your directory?

Itā€™s dubbed as "Industrial strength batch extraction and verification of RAR and ZIP archives". It is useful for mass extracting archives, even password protected if you know the password or in case that you donā€™t you can try to recover it by using a dictionary approach and see if you get lucky.

It runs under all versions of Windows (requires .NET framework 4.0 or higher to be installed on userā€™s PC), is free, is completely clean (no adds/spyware etc) and trusted by major sites like Softpedia and Download3K. If users like it, they may opt to buy me a coffee.
thanks!

More detailed info:

• Unattended operation: extracts or verifies without the userā€™s attention. Just press the Go button and use your time for something else. Upon completion you will be presented with the outcome of the operation,statistics and detailed Log files.

• Very simple to use GUI-interface: you can start a new operation with just 3 clicks !

• Batch extraction

• Automated file integrity validation: batch check your files for errors (CRC check,missing parts,wrong format,bad format,corrupted archive,wrong password)

• Password recovery: can retrieve the password by using the dictionary approach. Give it a word list and it will attempt all words against the archive. Once it retrieves the password it can optionally continue with extracting the archive

• Recursion: It traverses nested directories, so that all your RAR and ZIP files can be organized into sub directories of any depth. UER will then start from the root directory and get into all sub directories to process the files

• Unicode paths/directories

• Unicode file names: no more constrained by the System Default code page (ANSI)

• Unicode passwords: Unicode compatibility with the latest version of Winrar 4.20. This means that Unicode passwords are guaranteed to work with RAR files created with Winrar version 4.2 or higher

• Optimizations for faster execution

1 Like

Hi :wave:

Iā€™d like to suggest my company, ContextCue. Our mission is to build an ethical, privacy-first advertising network that doesnā€™t track, collect, nor share personal information. In fact, we donā€™t serve any cookies in our ads, and we donā€™t fingerprint browsers.

We believe strongly that privacy is a fundamental right, but we also acknowledge that advertising is the easiest way to not only earn revenue online, but also grow your business. Weā€™re setting out to prove that advertising can exist without violating userā€™s ethics and their privacy.

Iā€™m really not sure what category this would fit under if accepted, maybe tools? Maybe a new category?

Thanks for putting all these resources together, itā€™s a wonderful project that aligns with many of our values at ContextCue!

1 Like

Hiya @agreen, @mex, @lovasoa, @bbyford, @un1qu3, @sauloperez, @bluszcz, @kris, @zhyl, @nikosv & @jroschen!

Welcome, and thank you for taking the time to contribute! :rainbow: :relaxed:

Now that weā€™ve got a good bunch of people contributing, I just wanted to write a note to be transparent about how weā€™re filtering suggestions - as I saw someone on the HN thread theorising that weā€™re actually like, paid shills for Duck Duck Go :see_no_evil:

So my first sort-of rule is that the contribution has to be something that a non-techy person like me could feasibly use - as we want this list to be useful for everybody, not just tech wizzes.

So @nikosv - Ultimate Extract and Recover sounds super impressive, but I have absolutely no idea what industrial strength batch extraction is! :see_no_evil: So I would err on the side of not including it.

Also, Iā€™m thinking suggestions should be relatively finished, polished products (again, with the idea being that theyā€™re as useful for as many people as possible). @bluszcz - Veggiesailor is an amazing project, but searching for places in London currently brings back a lot of ā€˜no foto :(ā€™ results - so Iā€™d also err on the side of not including this.

But - in case you werenā€™t aware - we just intended the resources page to just be a quick and useful point of reference while weā€™re building the main site.

We plan to turn each of the categories on the resources page into categories on the main site; so every product will have its own profile page, where users can leave feedback, as below:

(I think you have to click on the pic above to open the whole image) :slight_smile:

So on the main site, users will be able to decide whether or not a company cuts the ethical mustard, not just us! :see_no_evil:

Iā€™d be interested to hear your feedback on all this - lmk your thoughts! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ok, thank you for your message.

So, do you need additional information about CoopCycle? I can give a bunch of articles (mainly in French), or explain more.
I registered, because I saw you have registered FairBNB, and this is pretty much the same kind of stuff.

1 Like

Thanks for the warm welcome :slight_smile:

I think excluding products solely because they are too technical is not a good idea. I understand that you want to keep everything easy and accessible, but just because something is complicated doesnā€™t mean it is unethical. In fact, the reverse is often the case. Large corporations spend millions to reduce the friction you have with a product. Smaller developer teams often donā€™t have the resources to deliver a similarly polished product.

From the HN discussion yesterday I have the impression that many people came to the site with different expectations in terms of what ā€˜ethicalā€™ is. Therefore, I would add filters like ā€˜non-profitā€™, ā€˜open-sourceā€™, ā€˜tech-savvyā€™, ā€˜app/softwareā€™, etc. and maybe give every directory entry its own discussion page (similar to the talk pages on Wikipedia) and a poll to discuss and vote on the filter categories a product fits in. That way you could collect the knowledge of the community and let your users adjust the list to their definition of what ā€˜ethicalā€™ is.

4 Likes

Hi there! I would highly recommend adding a voice assistant or voice interface category with Snips (https://snips.ai/) as the ethical choice! Voice assistants are being used for Internet searching, information gathering, scheduling, and actions (like turning on the lights in the bedroom) so this category encompasses many of the other categories into a holistic method of interaction with the world around us. An estimated 4 in every 10 internet users around the world now use voice search each month and that behavior is only getting more and more frequent.

All this to say that there are very few voice assistants and interfaces that maintain an ethical outlook on the data they collect about their users. But Snips is different ā€“ the Snips voice assistant is already one of the few Trustable Technology products (certified by The Mozilla Foundation) and their voice interface is Private by Design, which means all personal user data is secured on the device itself rather than being sent to the cloud for processing, analyzing, hacking, and manipulating. Snips has open-sourced many components of its voice interface already, and has been GDPR compliant since before that was even a thing.

1 Like

Yep thatā€™s coming :blush: :pray:

3 Likes

Hi Ethical community,

I would like to bring AdEx Network to your attention as a suggestion for the Ethical directory.

It is a new generation open source advertising network which is here to make the lives of both advertisers and publishers easier without compromising the privacy of the end user (unlike most other ad networks nowadays).

AdEx gives end-users full control of their data. The information used for ad targeting is collected solely in the userā€™s local storage (in the browser) and it never leaves the device. This eliminates the risk of the user data to be sold or misused. Soon users would be able to use the AdEx Lounge which will allow them to review and edit their advertising preferences.

Billions of dollars are lost to ad fraud every year and AdEx is focused on finding technological solutions to fighting this: cryptographic identities, micropayments, blacklistint, etc. The project is dedicated to bringing a cleaner web to advertisers, publishers and end users.

You can find further information on our GitHub profile https://github.com/AdExNetwork/adex-protocol, as well as on https://www.adex.network/.

I am also available to answer any questions you may have.

Thank you in advance for your consideration.

Best regards,
Nadia

1 Like

Hello!
Iā€™d like to add www.EthicalMuch.com to the directory. Weā€™re a new social media platform. We reward members for posts, we donate money to charity in exchange for members doing Good Deeds, we even sponsor children as part of the member experience. We have zero advertising and moderate all posted content. A deliberate and conscious intention to create a truely and positively ethical media platform. Thank you!

1 Like

maybe for messaging we should simply include matrix
matrix.org
, which has multiple clients including riot.im
And xmpp
xmpp.org
, which also has multiple clients.
Also I would include Telegram, like Iā€™ve argued before Suggestions for our Ethical Resources directory

1 Like

Acorn Host is a web hosting service that uses 100% green energy and their pricing is very straightforward and reasonable. They also have excellent customer service. Acorn Host charged exactly what they said they would, unlike some of the bigger hosting companies, which can be deceptive with pricing. I would definitely recommend them for your list.

1 Like

I think the project I have been building - Apse - fits your criteria pretty well:

• No tracking - it runs on your computer
  • No ads
  • Iā€™m an indie dev

It is kind of a cross between bookmarks and a search engine. I am happy to answer questions about it!

1 Like

Excellent project, keep up the good work.

Just a heads up, Resilio (in file sharing) is not open source software. Syncthing, which you also mention, was created out of the need of an open source alternative for Resilio Sync.

1 Like

Welcome @yasmine, @Nnadski, @EthicalMuch, @ken, @Ryan & @roman :relaxed::relaxed:

Thanks so much for your lovely suggestions - weā€™ll update the page in the next couple of days, so keep your eyes peeled! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™d like to suggest Plausible for the Analytics section.

Iā€™m just not comfortable installing the Google Analytics script on my website so they can follow my users around with ads. So I decided to build Plausible as a more privacy-focused alternative. Hope it fits the spirit of the project! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ooooh @ukutaht, it looks a great fit! :heart_eyes:

Would you consider adding MeWe under social networks? Itā€™s set itself up as an anti-Facebook with no ads, spyware, or ā€œBSā€. They did an impeccible job opening their arms up to the exodus of communities leaving Google+ after its recent shutdown. Iā€™ve been a part of it for a year now and using it daily since the beginning of this year. Hereā€™s their FAQ page for all the nitty gritty.

1 Like