Suggestions for our Ethical Resources directory

I wonder if Telegram (telegram.org) would qualify as an ethical messaging service. They’re focused on privacy, don’t display ads. AFAIK they’re completely funded out of their CEO’s (Pavel Durov) Pocket. The only thing that makes them a bit dubious to me is that they wanted to make their service open source, but haven’t completely open-sourced everything yet (last time I checked, I could only find part of their mobile client to be open-source)
But I think they’re a good first alternative to whatsapp, I’ve deleted my whatsapp account and started using telegram exclusively, later made a signal account too.
https://telegram.org

1 Like

also, another tech that I’ve been interested since I’ve stumbled upon it a while ago is this:
po.et
might fit with blogging, video hosting and social networking

2 Likes

thanks for the great suggestion @ilja, and welcome! :slightly_smiling_face: we’ll add this to this list! :relaxed:

welcome @Brunsvold!

i think a “Leaping Bunny Approved” badge would be great to add to the “reviews and certifications” section of a brand profile :smiley: :

Thanks so much for the suggestion! :rainbow::relaxed:

1 Like

hiya @jsper! :slightly_smiling_face:

from what I’ve read, Telegram are actually a bit dodgy?! see here, and here.

The fact that telegram doesn’t use end to end encryption by default has been a bit hyped up and blown out of proportion I would personally say… for example riot.im doesn’t do that by default yet (in fact, I guess they’re actually sending plaintext by default?! or maybe at least ssl encryption) yet it’s still a very good im network.
not e2e encrypted though doesn’t mean the same as not encrypted, it just means that the server would theoretically be able to see your messages. And you can also use secret chats which are e2e encrypted.
Here’s a statement on this by someone associated with telegram: https://tgraph.io/Why-you-should-stop-reading-Gizmodo-right-now-Long
I think everyone should form their own opinion on the matter of e2e encryption. I personally trust telegram and I also trust that the cloud encryption protocol they’ve developed in-house is reasonably secure, you should just be aware that you should rather ideally use offline communication, strong pgp encryption or at least secret chats for stuff that you really want to keep a secret.

2 Likes

Hey all :slight_smile: I’d like to recommend New Internationalist for the magazine section, they’re a co-op magazine covering real world and social issues :+1:

NI: https://newint.org/

2 Likes

Hello,

Not sure in which category it can fit, but I would like to suggest CoopCycle.
It is basically a platform co-op alternative to Deliveroo, Uber-Eats, etc… it is open source software, but with a restriction for commercial usage: your company needs to respect the law of social & solidarity economy.

(Disclaimer: I’m a member of the CoopCycle organization)

3 Likes

Definitely! Thanks for reminding us :raised_hands:

1 Like

Hi all!
I would like to suggest WBO. It’s a free and open-source real-time drawing board for team collaboration. It does not track its users, and you can easily run it on your own server.

apple-touch-icon

1 Like

firefox addon to give you an eco tip everytime you open and new window https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/ecolist/

1 Like

I think the messengers section should include XMPP messengers. Good ones are Gajim (Desktop), Quicksy / Conversations (both Android).

Why? From an ethics standpoint, I don’t know any other technology that is better suited for messaging. Open, decentralized, federated, encrypted, Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) standard, did I miss something? The biggest issue with XMPP is that iOS and MacOS clients are not up-to-date or still kinda unreliable (Monal & ChatSecure).

1 Like

I’d like to suggest adding Open Food Network in the organizations’ section.

we’re a global community of people from local projects all around the world that builds an e-commerce platform for food enterprises to boost short food supply chains. We then offer the software as Saas to our communities.

Each local instances (country-based) puts funds into a common global pot that pays for development and maintenance costs, which would be impossible to cover by each one separately.

3 Likes

Hi guys, I totally do not understand why you did add HappyCow platform for vegan and vegetarians. It is a commercial platform spying users, where users add the content, without ability to get it back and the TOS just sucks - https://www.happycow.net/terms-of-use

As a contributor to HappyCow - one day I asked to give back my added content - but i was refused. So I Veggiesailor was born (disclaimer - I am one of the founders) - with creative connent backed by vegguide
So, basically - pleaes remove HappyCow - or force them to change TOS, and please add real community and open source projects like:

Great platform.

2 Likes

I’d like to suggest adding Discourse, since it’s what you use to run your own community and we’re open source, possibly under Team collaboration or Social media? (Are there other platforms that would benefit from a Community category? Social media doesn’t quite feel right.)

Disclaimer: I work for Discourse— :heart: love what you’re all doing.

2 Likes

File sharing:

Operating Systems:

• Solus
  • Manjaro
  • Pop_OS
  • Ubuntu
  • <Linux flavour of choice>

Games Launchers:

• Lutris
1 Like

Would you add “Ultimate Extract and Recover” , available at [www.nvglabs.com](http:// www.nvglabs.com), to your directory?

It’s dubbed as "Industrial strength batch extraction and verification of RAR and ZIP archives". It is useful for mass extracting archives, even password protected if you know the password or in case that you don’t you can try to recover it by using a dictionary approach and see if you get lucky.

It runs under all versions of Windows (requires .NET framework 4.0 or higher to be installed on user’s PC), is free, is completely clean (no adds/spyware etc) and trusted by major sites like Softpedia and Download3K. If users like it, they may opt to buy me a coffee.
thanks!

More detailed info:

• Unattended operation: extracts or verifies without the user’s attention. Just press the Go button and use your time for something else. Upon completion you will be presented with the outcome of the operation,statistics and detailed Log files.

• Very simple to use GUI-interface: you can start a new operation with just 3 clicks !

• Batch extraction

• Automated file integrity validation: batch check your files for errors (CRC check,missing parts,wrong format,bad format,corrupted archive,wrong password)

• Password recovery: can retrieve the password by using the dictionary approach. Give it a word list and it will attempt all words against the archive. Once it retrieves the password it can optionally continue with extracting the archive

• Recursion: It traverses nested directories, so that all your RAR and ZIP files can be organized into sub directories of any depth. UER will then start from the root directory and get into all sub directories to process the files

• Unicode paths/directories

• Unicode file names: no more constrained by the System Default code page (ANSI)

• Unicode passwords: Unicode compatibility with the latest version of Winrar 4.20. This means that Unicode passwords are guaranteed to work with RAR files created with Winrar version 4.2 or higher

• Optimizations for faster execution

1 Like

Hi :wave:

I’d like to suggest my company, ContextCue. Our mission is to build an ethical, privacy-first advertising network that doesn’t track, collect, nor share personal information. In fact, we don’t serve any cookies in our ads, and we don’t fingerprint browsers.

We believe strongly that privacy is a fundamental right, but we also acknowledge that advertising is the easiest way to not only earn revenue online, but also grow your business. We’re setting out to prove that advertising can exist without violating user’s ethics and their privacy.

I’m really not sure what category this would fit under if accepted, maybe tools? Maybe a new category?

Thanks for putting all these resources together, it’s a wonderful project that aligns with many of our values at ContextCue!

1 Like

Hiya @agreen, @mex, @lovasoa, @bbyford, @un1qu3, @sauloperez, @bluszcz, @kris, @zhyl, @nikosv & @jroschen!

Welcome, and thank you for taking the time to contribute! :rainbow: :relaxed:

Now that we’ve got a good bunch of people contributing, I just wanted to write a note to be transparent about how we’re filtering suggestions - as I saw someone on the HN thread theorising that we’re actually like, paid shills for Duck Duck Go :see_no_evil:

So my first sort-of rule is that the contribution has to be something that a non-techy person like me could feasibly use - as we want this list to be useful for everybody, not just tech wizzes.

So @nikosv - Ultimate Extract and Recover sounds super impressive, but I have absolutely no idea what industrial strength batch extraction is! :see_no_evil: So I would err on the side of not including it.

Also, I’m thinking suggestions should be relatively finished, polished products (again, with the idea being that they’re as useful for as many people as possible). @bluszcz - Veggiesailor is an amazing project, but searching for places in London currently brings back a lot of ‘no foto :(’ results - so I’d also err on the side of not including this.

But - in case you weren’t aware - we just intended the resources page to just be a quick and useful point of reference while we’re building the main site.

We plan to turn each of the categories on the resources page into categories on the main site; so every product will have its own profile page, where users can leave feedback, as below:

(I think you have to click on the pic above to open the whole image) :slight_smile:

So on the main site, users will be able to decide whether or not a company cuts the ethical mustard, not just us! :see_no_evil:

I’d be interested to hear your feedback on all this - lmk your thoughts! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ok, thank you for your message.

So, do you need additional information about CoopCycle? I can give a bunch of articles (mainly in French), or explain more.
I registered, because I saw you have registered FairBNB, and this is pretty much the same kind of stuff.

1 Like