Sustainable laptops?

We need to replace a couple of pretty old and really not behaving well laptops, one is physically falling apart, and I was looking for sustainable alternatives.

It seems like when it comes to smartphones there are some options out there, i.e. pinephone, fairphone, but I’m really not finding much about laptops.

Anybody got any suggestions?

1 Like

I’d consider Frame.work, they’re fairly new but very consumer focused with attention to right to repair. Aside from that, the makers of the phones mostly make laptops as well. If you’re techy, consider pine64’s laptops. Generally laptops designed by smaller and/or linux focused companies will be more sustainable and ethical.

2 Likes

Actually in the year since I posted that question, quite a lot of the bigger companies like Asus and Lenovo have started making laptops with a high percentage of recycled plastic and metal in them, you just need to choose the model carefully.

Outside of that the Framework laptop is beautiful and also actually has proper high-end specs for a similar price to other high-end options, which is something that up until now has been lacking in a lot of the more sustainable phone and laptop choices until now.

1 Like

Framework Laptops: (Made for Sustainability and Reliability: Easy to replaced parts more than Thinkpads where non technical people can handle)

I just got a Framework laptop and I have been using it for the past three weeks. I love it. The community is stellar and the support too.

1 Like