I decided to quit Spotify for several reasons, which I listed here. I am looking for a free, private, relatively simple solution.
I am writing this post since I can’t find an exhaustive, reliable and complete article which explains how to move away from Spotify and seamlessly start using FreeTube and NewPipe instead.
My final purpose is to export all of my subscriptions, liked songs and playlists from Spotify and importing them in FreeTube and NewPipe.
Finally, I need to find some way to synchronize liked songs, subscriptions and playlists among the two apps, since I use both of them.
After gathering enough data and insights (hopefully, with your help), I’m planning on writing an article myself, so that anyone in my situation in the future can have a thorough and complete guide to follow in order to switch without too many complications.
- Is there some script to convert Spofity exported data in a format readable by NewPipe and Freetube? Hence seamlessly moving from Spotify to FreeTube / NewPipe?
- Is there some script to convert YouTube exported data (subscriptions and playlists) in a format readable by NewPipe and Freetube? Hence moving from YouTube to FreeTube / NewPipe?
- How do I sync my subscriptions, playlists and liked songs between FreeTube and New Pipe?
There’s an open issue about this on NewPipe’s GitHub repository, but in the meanwhile I’m keen to know how other people manage everything.
- If I wanted to make some playlists public, could I create them from NewPipe / FreeTube and sync them with Invidious? (Specifically, the instance I use is yewtu.be) Alternatively, is there some effective way to share my playlists with friends, ideally even ones who don’t have my same apps installed?
I am already using several great services as OpenWhyd and Radio4000, but nevertheless it’s very time consuming, itchy and stressful to move from one app to the other and doing everything manually.
- Platforms like Funkwhale are based on ActivityPub, therefore they are integrated in the Fediverse and make music and playlist sharing waaay easier (and kinda cool, too). The problem is that the catalogue is much much limited, and it’s quite useless to be able to publicly share playlists poor in contents. Is it possible / is there a platform able to integrate ActivityPub with YouTube or Invidious playlists? It would be awesome, since it would be a universally accepted, federated and decentralized system to share any music, not just the one originally published to Funkwhale!
Thanks a lot in advance for your kind support! It goes without saying that everything you’ll be posting here will be of great help for me and for drafting my article on the matter. Please, if you have any further or more specific questions about the topic, don’t hesitate to let me know
(Note: I have a server and I can self-host virtually anything I like, even if I probably lack the skills to set stuff up; this post was also published on PrivacyTools Community)