On Deep Ethics

Originally published at: https://ethical.net/essay/on-deep-ethics/

Although “ethics” is commonly equated with a set of rules or principles for right conduct, deep ethics has more to do with a simple humility toward others – an attentive openness not just toward other persons but toward the inexhaustible otherness of the manifold beings that compose this earthly world. When we consider the palpable…

2 Likes

This may be the most beautifully written testament to our deep interconnectivity to each other and nature that I’ve ever read. Absolutely exquisite.

4 Likes

So glad you’ve enjoyed reading it @Ron!
Curious what you think about David Abram’s other essay: Magic and the Machine: Notes on Technology and Animism in an Age of Ecological Wipeout
:deciduous_tree::sun_with_face::full_moon_with_face:

1 Like

Two years later, Cata (still here?), but I finally read David’s longer essay you highlighted. Another fantastic piece. Still cannot believe this essay has received so little attention, at least judging by the (lack of) comments. So beautifully written, so profoundly important.

1 Like

Agreed, I wasn’t on ethical.net two years ago, so missed this the first time it was posted, but it’s a really good read, the longer essay as well.

Sometimes people reviving old forum and blog posts is just irritating because information is outdated or something has changed in the meantime, but in cases like the basic principles never change. Thanks, Ron

2 Likes

Thanks for the update Ron! :pray:

Good call John, we aim to publish material that can live more than a news piece.