How to recycle clothes? by the truck?

Got a question about the site/life/the universe/everything? Pop it in this thread and we’ll try to answer it!

1 Like

I’ll go first, shall I? :angel:

Q. Who are you, and why are you doing this?!

A. Great question!

We’re Sarah (that’s me!), Cata, Anca and Raj. We noticed that, although there’s lots of great ethical alternatives sites out there (like Ethical Consumer and GoodOnYou), there’s no one site that’s totally universal, free and collaborative. So that’s what we’re trying to build! :relaxed:

Q: Is it ethical, especially for vegans to own cats?

Since cats cannot survive without meat, some animals would still have to suffer so you can feed your cat(s). We own cats and they’re part of the family but this keeps bugging me for a while :slight_smile:

It seems that as a cat owner you woun’t be able to consider yourself 100% vegan.

2 Likes

Ah that’s a difficult one! We have a dog and face very similar difficulties :sweat:

2 Likes

Such a tricky question!

This article claims that science might sort this for us in the next few years, with lab grown meat or “ancient Asian fungi” :thinking:

But whether lab grown meat is vegan is another question…

Hi, any thoughts on which banks are most ethical?

2 Likes

Yes!!

Based off the looking into it I did for this little article:

Banks

Building societies and credit unions (esp the Ecology Building Society).

:rainbow::rainbow:

Can a website be ethical and if so, what would make it ethical?

Great post, a lot of stuff in here i did not know about :grinning:

I’m not part of ethical.net but I hope it’s fine for others to jump in and answer / offer opinions?

There are a few things that you might say determine to how ethical a website is, but the biggest two are:

1. Sustainable hosting: Data centres use huge amounts of power, so it should be hosted in a data centre that is powered by renewable energy and is energy efficient.

2. Data privacy and ownership: Take a look at the number of cross-site cookies that are being used (or the sites privacy policy) to see where your data is going. One of the most common places is to Google Analytics for example, unless it is made very clear to site visitors where their data is tracked then it might be considered more ethical not to use such services.

I think if a site fulfills both of those criteria and doesn’t have any questionable employment practices, etc. then it could be said to be ethical.

Hi John, Yes I believe it is fine to give your opinions. I have to admit that I agree with you, one of the best I have found for really sustainable hosting is https://solar.lowtechmagazine.com/2020/01/how-sustainable-is-a-solar-powered-website.html

That is one of 3 articles they have on how they developed and run their sustainable website from home.

I hope you find it very interesting!

That’s a really interesting article!

We run (what we believe) is a sustainable and ethical web hosting company but we have to maintain a balance between having clients business websites up all the time (with backups stored elsewhere) with being as green as possible from an energy point of view.

It’s actually pretty hard. You can find a lot of datacentres that run on “100% renewable energy” but then if you contact them and ask what their backup systems are, you find a lot of them use diesel generators as a backup when the grid power goes off !!

Hi, I’m Sara and interested in being ecological in as much of my regular living as possible. I started using a replaceable head toothbrush 7-8 years ago, but am no longer able to find the replaceable heads. This same toothbrush has lasted all this time and still in fine shape, so really hope to find the heads again. If anyone has heard of this brand and any ideas where to find it please let me know: It’s called SmileBrite Replaceable Head Toothbrush, made in Germany. I used to get it from GreenMarket.com, but they seem to be no longer in business.
Best Wishes to all!

Greetings everyone, hello @RadicalEngineers

I came across TransferWise while I was dealing with a client that uses them to send money worldwide, and I fell in love with their level of integrity and transparency. I don’t know much about online and offline banking to back up my experience with them (since March 2020), I can only tell you that they are the only company I know that has lowered their transaction fees.

I don’t think they would be the best local bank, and for international transactions and transparency, I believe they are the best.

And if you plan to signup with them, please let me know. I will then send you my affiliate link :wink:

Sincerely,
JoeBlaster

Can I help to translate this site into Spanish?