How did you try to make Christmas more sustainable?

I think this is the first Christmas that I properly considered the environmental impact of the gifts that I was buying and requesting (I know, I know).

So for example, for my boyfriend I got this cute cup made of other cups, a voucher for a posh shave (#experiencesnotthings) and some fair trade chocolate :relaxed:

I also didn’t wrap them in paper, but that’s more to do with laziness than anything else :see_no_evil:

What about you? How did you try to do Christmas sustainably? (from gifts to food to decorations - whatever!)

2 Likes

Nice!

I’ve bought lots of second hand books from oxfam, ebay, and wordery.

And helped to cook vegan versions of traditional Christmas food :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Any decent vegan Christmas recipes you can recommend? :see_no_evil:

Yep some great ones here.

And if you’d like to try a Romanian classic, check this out.

2 Likes

For me an ethical Christmas is one that goes beyond presents, but I haven’t managed to convince my big family, so I try the small steps approach :smiley:

It should be about getting together and sharing some quality time with family or friends. I was reading about this Icelandic tradition of giving books on Christmas eve and then spending the night reading from them :slight_smile: I find it charming. Now imagine those are second hand books from Oxfam or some dear book from your private collection that you think someone else would appreciate just as much.

I also think giving experiences rather than material gifts is better. However, if one does buy a material gift, it should be something the other really needs (carefully sourced, obviously :D).

Also, secret Santa could be a good start for downsizing, using our imagination more, and wasting less. You give an insignificant budget and pick the person. You can add other rules too, like buy independent, organic, local, etc. It depends. Even finding/making/buying the present can turn into a playful experience.

2 Likes

As for wrapping, I’ve been using used wrapping paper, newspapers and magazines pages. I got good reactions so far :smiley: You can write messages on them or make the most of the messages already printed on them… There’s this guy I found on Instagram who works in a travel agency and uses outdated maps as wrapping paper. These are maps that would be “destroyed”.
Lush is selling Knot-Wraps, which is based on the Japanese tradition of Furoshiki. “Made from either organic cotton or two recycled plastic bottles” and “they’re meant to be used again and again as a scarf, accessory or tote, so it’s a bit like giving two gifts in one”.
Well, the thing is, we can really go through those unused, damaged clothes in our own wardrobe, and, you know, use our imagination :slight_smile:

You can also buy recycled brown wrapping paper, but I still think using our imagination for a rather unimportant aspects of gifting is best :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Omg, I love the book giving tradition! Although it can be pretty stressful when someone gives you a book and you feel obliged to read it… :see_no_evil:

And AGREE that secret santa is awful sustainabilitywise. What’s the most ridiculous,unwanted secret santa gift you’ve seen? I’d say beard baubles.

Can you link to map wrapping paper guy? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We used some recycled wooden planks to build a tree on the wall (we’ll be using it in the next years) and ate less and only vegan. Also, I finally managed to convince my mum not to buy a Christmas tree this year. Bought only one gift from a local business, I didn’t wrap it at all :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Awesome stuff, thanks for sharing Bogdan!

2 Likes

Well, I think at least it will lead to an interesting conversation :slight_smile: Ideally one does a bit of research before buying the book, or looking through his/her own private collection. I’m usually good at gifting books to family and old friends simply because I’ve known them for decades :smiley:

And here is the map wrapping guy:

I wonder if I should share my Time Out London and Radio Times wrapping paper :smiley: The covers are the best.

4 Likes

Oh wow, do you have a picture of the wooden plank tree?! :see_no_evil:

I’d also be interested to hear how you managed to convince your mum not to buy a tree? I can’t tell my parents anything…

Well, she has two cats now, and this helped (a lot). I just kindly asked her not to buy a tree anymore and she agreed. But it took me about 5 years at least to get here :slight_smile:

here’s our tree, (a cat is included) and our unwrapped gifts - sort of because the shoes already came in a cardboard box :frowning: .

3 Likes

Wow the tree is really pretty! Can you create a short "tutorial"on our blog for people who would like to do try next year? Sort of like this one? :pray:

1 Like

So cuuute, I love it! :heart_eyes:

I like brown paper. The thicker one I use to place mushrooms on and slowly oven bake them. One does not need a tray when you have a good square of brown paper.

2 Likes

Let me get this right :slight_smile: You’re using brown paper for wrapping and also cooking? But not the same kind, right? :smiley:

2 Likes

Hi guys - I know it has been a while since the last post on the topic but I need community help.
Three years ago I got a Christmas tree in a pot; picture below

now my little fellow has grown quite a bit, again picture below:

I feel it is time for me to let go and plant it somewhere where it can grow big, I mean really big :slight_smile: Do you know a place that I can take it, or any communities which would help with this. Or actually if anyone has a garden and would like to adopt. Any help is very much appreciated :slight_smile:

Many thanks in advance.

2 Likes

hey Ioana! Welcome back! :slight_smile:

Looks lovely. Can you move it to a bigger pot and keep it another year? :smiley:
If not, have a look at this tree relocation services. I think they do bigger projects, but I’m sure they can help you with some informed suggestions.

Do you have friends with big gardens? If yes, see if they’d like to adopt it :stuck_out_tongue:

There are also some renting services out there. They basically bring the tree to you and take it back to the farm after holidays. You can rent the same tree every year, they just look after it for the remaining 11 months. I’m sure they’ll be able to give some informed suggestions, and you might want to consider such services in the future.

Or ask the people at your local flower shop. They might have some ideas.

And last, but not least, call your local council and see what they advice you to do.

I’ll get back if I remember something else :slight_smile:

Hope this helps. Keep us updated. Thanks!

:raised_hands::evergreen_tree::evergreen_tree::evergreen_tree:

1 Like

Hi Anca,

That’s amazing, thank you so much :slight_smile: will definitely keep you update.

many thanks
ioana

2 Likes

Nice, stylized Xmas tree. Its quite arty!

2 Likes