Ethical Online Music Streaming Services

We keep hearing about the best music streaming services, but what would an ethical music streaming service look like? Is there such a thing? Is it possible? We’d love to hear from you. Thank you!

1 Like

@pictureanca
https://libre.fm/ there might be others of similar ilk.

1 Like

What criteria are you using for an ethical streaming service?

I’m guessing it would need to have good data privacy for listeners and fair payment for artists?

1 Like

Hey, that’s what I’m trying to find out :slight_smile: Fair payment for artists and data privacy are essential, but maybe it would be interesting to see if some services tick some boxes like renewable energy too. Streaming is an energy-intensive use of the internet and it would be great to see if they are thinking about this too. I’m sure there’s more. The search continues. :slight_smile:

Hello everyone,

An ethical music platform would indeed mean privacy and fair payment. I think a platform were every single song is free of listening for the first play but after you would have to choose how much you would like to contribute to that artist. You would have the option to pay as you go, and pay as less as 10 cents for a song or use a monthly payment in which case you would still own the right to dedicate your incentives to your favorite artists.

There would be no transaction charge: every contribution would go straight to the artist’s account. Ads would displayed as recommendation only to the users that activates that option.

Sincerely,
JoeBlaster

1 Like

It’s an interesting idea but sounds like it could get expensive very quickly. Do you imagine that payment being for lifetime streaming of that song, or for a month, or per play, or… ?

Greetings everyone,

Whenever someone buys a CD album of an artist or a band, they have it forever. We would follow that same principle. The initial price for the song would be fairly low, and it would not have a limit. Anyone can choose to spend 4€ or even 20€ for a single that initially cost 50 cents. The community formed around that artist would be their property. They would be authorized to contact them, go live, raise support for their next album or song, etc.

That would bring a long-term relationship with the artist.

Sincerely,
JoeBlaster

1 Like