Carbon Farming: Sequestering Carbon in Plants and Soil

Originally published at: https://ethical.net/climate-crisis/carbon-farming-sequestering-carbon-in-plants-and-soil/

Our current agricultural systems are broken, and are a major contributor to the climate crisis. As well as using vast quantities of fossil fuels, contemporary farming practices release millions of tons of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases each year. The ability to feed a growing population is crucial to human survival, yet food security…

I am a farmer and found this article of interest. After getting past the first paragraph which concerned me because of my perceived negative connotation towards are existing agricultural system.

I believe it is better to get buy in from those who may be in the best position to make change if you do not start out with statement that tells them they are wrong or broken. This closes them to objectively reviewing or even reading the article.

Barring the first paragraph I found the rest of the article to be enlightening. I farm walnuts and almonds and I think that suggestions made in this article to be somewhat easily to implement and I will study them further.

Thank you

2 Likes

I teach people to boost soil carbon using biochar. It doubles crop production, sequesters carbon in soil for geologic time scale and reduces the need for irrigation and fertilization by half. The benefits to both ground and surface water quality alone make the use of biochar crucial for the future of soil health.
The current agricultural system that pumps more and more off farm and petrochemically produced inputs is bankrupting farmers, healing the soil offers the fastest way to recover the rural landscape and the culture part of ag.

I know your comment was 7 months ago but I missed it until now, was just curious where in the world geographically you are farming walnuts and almonds.