10 Eco-Friendly & Sustainable Writing Utensils

Originally published at: https://ethical.net/sustainability/sustainable-writing-utensils/

I know I’m not the only one who still writes by hand, so let’s talk about how we can put our most soulful thoughts (ahem, work-related tasks) on paper while remaining environmentally friendly. What’s your favorite writing utensil? Mine happens to be whichever pen has crossed my path that week. It’s usually from a hotel…

The most eco-friendly way to write by hand is to use lead (graphite) pencils. You can write the longest with a wooden pencil compared to other pens, and the waste is bio-degradable. Provided you choose a brand name wooden pencil of a company that works eco-friendly. I live in Germany, and I know the big German manufacturers are (Faber-Castell is declared carbon-neutral by independent inspectors). Refillable mechanical pencils are OK, too. Again, if they’re made well so that they last reasonably well.

Unless you cannot use them legally because they’re erasable, that is. I chose cartridge replaceable ball-points for that. Again, from companies I trust that they work well. But I avoid those pens unless I must.

1 Like