To read! (books, articles etc)

1 Like

I came across this book in the library: The New Prophets of Capital by Nicole Aschoff. She considers that “in a moment of crisis, a new generation of elite storytellers, masquerading as progressive thinkers has emerged to reinvent the free market as the universal solution to society’s problems.”

It’s rather bold to wrestle such prophets, I know, but I think this book is a good start for further debate on the many global campaigns meant to reinvent capitalism. I particularly recommend the chapter on John Mackey, the CEO of Whole Foods.

2 Likes

Great find! Ordered a sh copy from the wonderful World of Books.

1 Like

Has anyone not read Eating Animals? :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Recent Grauniad article on the best books to understand climate change :raised_hands:

1 Like

These two books are essential reading not just to understand the insect apocalypse, but to understand how this planet works and how we’re part of a system, not outside it. :raised_hands:

1 Like

I’m reading Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Harari. Yuval Harari is a great historian and storyteller and in this book he tells how a species of insignificant animals living in a part of Africa conquered the planet later. Here is a short and interesting talk by Prof. Harari himself on the book:

2 Likes

Thanks Raj! :raised_hands:

Have you read Homo Deus, or are you planning to read it? I found it incredibly depressing :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Yes, it’s on my to-read list but I’m avoiding depressing things right now so I’ll put it last in the list :wink:

Hi all! This is my first post here. Seeing this thread i remember the book

Making Kind Choices

Everyday ways to enhance your life through earth- and animal-friendly living

by Ingrid Newkirk

2 Likes

Ola - welcome! :slight_smile:

That sounds super interesting! Are there any tips you took away from it that you still use day to day? :smiley:

Thank you for the welcome! Honestly it was so long ago now that i can’t recall an example. But i like the mix of being kind to animals and to the environment - often these two go together!

3 Likes

This classic doesn’t need an introduction. Must-read for anyone interested in sustainability.
Small Is Beautiful: A Study of Economics As If People Mattered (a collection of essays by German born British economist E. F. Schumacher)

1 Like

My new book called Wise and Shine is an inclusive, wise-thinking manual. It is on sale for 4.99 today if you want the e-book, but most people prefer the paperback.

One of the underlying arguments is that everything we do has a moral element. The book synthesizes various wisdom traditions and examines first principles on how to live more wisely–beginning with our thinking. Someone here might like it. :smiley:

Thanks,
Robert

2 Likes